Thursday, March 25, 2010

Relationships..

10 months is the longest I have gone in my adult life with out attending a church service. While there is a church in my village, it is non-functioning except for the major holidays (Christmas and Easter). I was not at site during Christmas and this Easter I will be hopefully be attending a service while vacationing in Belgrade. Seeing as I cannot easily attend church here, I have been listening to the Cathedral of Hope's pod-casts whenever I can/remember to. There is something that moves me about the sermons. Maybe its the fact that I hear the message alone in my house as if it were meant solely for me. Maybe its the fact that its coming from a congregation whose beliefs are similar to my own. Or maybe its the need to be a part of a community even in my isolation. I am really not sure why I feel so connected to a church I have never stepped foot in. All I know is that I am grateful that I am glad to have such a connection and that it helps me immensely...usually when I least expect it.

I listened tonight and Dr. Rev. Jo Hudson was preaching from the parable of the Prodigal Son. This particular story is well known and I am not usually exicited to hear anyone preach from this passage. As a man who worked for the church for several years and toured the country monthly singing at different churches, I feel like I have heard this parable 10,000 times and every pastor tries to find something new to make it interesting. They usually fail. However, tonight, I was delighted upon hearing the interpretation. Instead of focusing on the return of the younger son or the feelings of the elder son, Hudson examined the father and not the father as God, but rather as Jesus. The father sacrificing all for the relationships he has with his sons and for the relationships between his sons. All of his energy is focused on relationships; gifts given, the fatted calf slain and parrties thrown. How much better would life be if we could all devote ourselves to our relationships in such a manner?

In my life, I am struggling with relationships. I physically far away from every relationship I cherished less than one year ago. Some new ones have been made here, but I still feel that they are muddled due to all I have been focusing on. I spend so much time concerned with what I am missing, or what I cannot say, or what I have to do each day, and my relationships suffer. I am usually focused so much on the parts of myself I cannot divulge to my community that I don't divulge enough. Personally, I am really scared to let them know more of me, which is to everyone's detriment... well, certainly to mine. I hope I can find the courage to let them know me so that I can better serve them and honestly, be happier. I just don't know how...

No comments:

Post a Comment