Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving BG Style

As I mentioned in my last post, this weekend I was to host a little Thanksgiving gathering with some other volunteers and some people from my village. It was a stressful week but everything came together thanks to my wonderful community and the support of my fellow PCVs. I especially want to thank Emmy and Jesse for everything they did. Emmy = Culinary Rockstar and Jesse = all around bad-ass.

Now about the actual event. Let me first say that this was my very first time ever having hosted this particular holiday and I don't think it could have gone better. My only regret is that I misplaced my camera, so I am relying on facebook to document this day. The guest list was originally supposed to be about 6 or so volunteers and we would eat at my house, all sitting around the table Norman Rockwell style. I then had the thought to invite a few Bulgarians as well such as my CP and my director. Imagine my surprise when I checked the facebook event list to see that 18 volunteers were wanting to come to my place for Thanksgiving. Ok, we will just have to sleep really close and I would just buy some extra plates and silverware, No problem... until in our staff meeting the director decided to invite the entire faculty. UMMM... yeah. I was now looking at having to serve around 30 people all in my rustic country cottage. There was just no way. So, with my counterpart, we went to a local cafe and asked if we could use here facility for a few hours and that everyone would buy drinks from her. Thankfully she agreed and seemed happy to do so. It really worked out because its always been a secret dream of mine to have Thanksgiving with a disco ball. With a larger venue I decided to invite a few more people including the Mayor, the Diretor of the Chitaliste, the Director of the Kindergarten and a neighbor or two. Everyone said they would bring food and/or wine and it turned out great. There ended up being 16 Americans (one was Emmy's friend traveling Europe) and 15 Bulgarians. And what happens when BGs and Americans get together... HORO! It was fun and the food was WONDERFUL. Everyone had a great time and I would love to host again next year.

What was even better was the football game before hand with a hord of children from the school. I felt like we were in a PC magazine. I cannot wait to see the pictures and video. The after party was also fun. There was much home made wine and someone from the village gave me a bottle of champegne. Also, TWISTER! AND a Christmas surprise. Why just celebrate one holiday? Thanks again to Emmy for working so hard on making those stockings and for finding the santa suit. Also to Jesse for wandering my village with an axe looking for Christmas tree to chop down. Luckily the magazine had one for 4 leva. No trees were harmed in the making of this party. It was just a great time. THANKS again to everyone who came and made this possible. I will get picture up soon and hopefully the story from the local newpaper. Being interviewed in BG is difficult as is giving a Thanksgiving speech.. oojas! Anyway, I hope your Turkey Day was just as amazing and that everyone has a great day!

CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment