Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In the bleak mid-winter

Have you ever had that dream where you are really sick and some one starts beating on your window and tells you that you have to come to school and teach English to Bulgarians even though its Wednesday and you aren't supposed to have class until 2:30 in the afternoon? Yeah, me neither, but this morning it became my reality. There is so much snow right now the bus could not make it here from Bjala and thus the 3 teachers who live in the village (myself included) got to teach all the classes this morning. I dont know why we just didnt cancel school, but so is life. It really isn't a problem, it was just an awful way to be woken up. My students laughed at me because the very first thing I said when I arrived in class was "I am sick and I was asleep 5 minutes ago. If you don't want a dvoiki you will sit down and not talk." Except it was sleep-slurred and in Bulgarian. I would have laughed at me too. We ended up playing M*A*S*H* for a while followed by hangman, categories and other time filling activities as I tried to gain my bearings. Over all it was a very confusing, mildly medicated, blur of happenings which luckily ended recently. At least I will know that this is a possibility tomorrow and can be somewhat more prepared.

This would have not been an issue if it were not for this wretched snow. I have been reading blogs from friends who live in the south saying how its just beginning to snow there. To them, I send an invite to the north where the glistening white has been blinding us for months as it chokes the life out of the ground below. The landscpe is one of shrubbery zombies who have some how clawed their way from their icy graves and are now slowly crawling over the frozen tundra that is Polsko Kosovo. Dramaitc, maybe, but nonetheless true. I cannot wait much longer until the day I can awake and see any color besides white. Come on spring. I know you won't let me down! For now, I am going to back to bed and will hopefully have a peaceful, uninterupted slumber. And when I wake, maybe I will find all the snow has gone and my dream of spring will have come true.

LLM,
CEO

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, thanks for the invite to us southerners to head to your area... but right now I'm too scared to leave. Plus we all got the texts from PC telling us to be cautious with travels. HA! Just channel your inner Texas, Cory..

    ReplyDelete