Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome


So I know that this is my third blog attempt and third blog name since leaving the US this past May, but I honestly feel that this will be a blog I can maintain. You see, the other blogs were created because I thought I could be funny and because I wanted to share my experiences from here in small town Bulgaria. While I still believe these goals to are possible, I am writing this new blog primarily as a way to remind myself that everyday life has little victories. Maybe they don't seem like much, but they are there.


What is an everyday victory, you ask? Well I shall tell you. Some days, for me, a small victory is just saying one sentence correctly in Bulgarian. Some days its just waking up and other times its that slight hint that something I have said has made sense to one of my students. Some of my proudest (and some of my worst) moments have been in the kitchen. I made vegetarian moussaka last night and I can make soup now! Who knew I could do that? Another proud moment was catching a mouse that had been running a muck in my house. No I didn't kill it; not for ethical reasons, but more because I didn't want to deal with mouse blood. My point is, everyday victories are different for each of us and I personally don't think we give ourselves enough credit for our small wins.


When was the last time you focused on what was accomplished on your "To Do" list instead of what did not get done? What about driving home safely from work or school? Anyone who has lived in Louisiana knows that this is a victory! I am personally astonished that none of my students have gotten up and walked out on me. I am also amazed that I have found the time and energy to run everyday this week. What I am trying to focus on in this blog is what went right (or simply better). So much time is spent focusing on the "failures" that we often forget about that even though we failed, we tried.


If you are wondering where this is coming from, and I am sure you are, its just that my life is in need of a change. I have been presented with a wonderful opportunity to change my life and I have been focusing on the hardships; I cannot speak the language well, I don't have a car, I have to cook, and trust me the list goes on. If I cannot change my attitude now, I will be miserable for the next two years and I will have not served my community to the best of my ability. Does this mean I am going to complain less, I don't know, but one thing I do know is that I will be conscientiously looking for, and never down playing, my everyday victories.


Rev. Betsy Eaves, the chaplain at Centenary College, used to ask me where I found God everyday. I would often just make something up because most days I was too busy to search for God. Sorry Betsy if you ever read this and sorry God for expecting you to do all the work. I guess now, even though I am still keeping busy, I am willing to put the effort into searching for/listening to God. That's another reason why I am starting this blog. I am trying to listen and something says to me that this is the right time to write about this.


My daily devotional today (2 Kings 5:11-12) was about Naaman , a military leader, who was conflicted with a skin disease and sought out Elisha for healing. Long story made short, Elisha told him to wash in the Jordan seven times, which Naaman thought was beneath him but his servant convinced him to do it anyway and wham bam thank you Mam (God could be a woman), he was cured. Can't you tell I am a GREAT theologian. The point is, Naaman found God somewhere he didn't expect to. I feel like God is always where we least expect him, like Elijah hearing God, not in the earthquakes and all that mess, but in the silence as a still, small voice. And that still, small voice isn't always easy to hear.


I recently listened to a sermon from the Rev. Felix Carrion and he spoke about conversing with God and how it should be just that, a conversation. For me, this is hard. We all know I love to talk and in my time with God, I let loose. And as I said earlier, that still small voice is hard to hear, and when ya don't shut up, its impossible. Well, at least in my life this is true. I often wonder how many things would have been different if I had only listened. However, tonight, while running through a field in Bulgaria, I listened and this is why I am writing now about the things that make my days better. A blog focusing my thoughts on the small, seemingly insignificant happenings in my days. I guess we will all see what comes from it.


Well anyways, welcome to my blog. It's not always going to have the "life is sunshine and rainbows" undertones like this one, but I think it will work for me and I hope you enjoy it.


Love, Laughter and Music,


Cory


PS - I get my devotionals from the Cathedral of Hope's website. There are also sermons available for you to watch and many other great things on their website.


PPS - If a day or two passes without an update, its not because I haven't had any "everyday victories" but rather because I am a Peace Corps Volunteer with loads of responsibilities. These responsibilities will not hinder my search for the everyday victories, but rather will hinder my blogging about them. THANKS!

This is where I run every day

2 comments:

  1. Way to go running every day... I'm impressed! And keep up the good work - with everything :) I miss you, my VT roommate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cory,

    This is a beautiful entry. Keep writing and keep on going in general. :-) It is definitely a journey of self-discovery every day. Not always easy, but always worth it.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete